..
..

6 Steps to analyze your chess games and become a better player

By Vishaal on Saturday, December 04, 2010 with 0 comments



In Igor Khmelnitsky’s Chess Exam and Training Guide, he gives a procedure toward the end of the book for going over your own games. I’ve used it a couple of times, and I like it. As an adult player, trying to improve but with limited study time, I find this approach to be practical.
Here’s a summary of the procedure:
  1. Write brief notes, as soon as possible after the game, to capture your thought process.
  2. Store your games in a database. (I use ChessBase 8.)
  3. Identify critical moves that might have been strategically wrong, and record ideas that might have been better.
  4. Use a chess program’s “blunder check” to find tactical mistakes. (I use Fritz.)
  5. Play against a chess program to test out your new strategic ideas. (I haven’t had time to do this.)
  6. Review the opening phase. Find a stopping point between the 10th and 20th moves and summarize its outcome. Make a note of anything you’d like to do differently next time.

Category: Chess Tips

POST COMMENT

0 comments:

Post a Comment

..
..